An unbelievably moist, delicious and healthy become deliciously sweet. This cake is the perfect dessert right out of the oven and just as good toasted and served for breakfast the next morning. Great, juicy (ideally, seedless) grapes of any kind will work.
|1 1/2 cup All-purpose flour||4 tbsp unsalted butter, plus for greasing pan||1/2 tsp kosher salt||2large Egg||3/4 cup sugar||1/4 cup Olive oil||1/4 cup whole milk|
|3/4 tsp Baking Powder||1 lemon||1/2 cup Walnuts
||1 cup golden brown Raisin||1 cup small Grapes||Greek Yogurt or Vanilla ice cream for serving|
Honey - Ginger Glaze
|1/2 cup fresh grapes||1/5 cup grated fresh Ginger||3 tbsp Honey|
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Thoroughly grease the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan with butter.
- Make the batter: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat together the butter and sugar on high speed until they lighten in color, 5 to 8 minutes. Slowly beat in the eggs one by one, then pour in the olive oil and milk and mix to combine.
- Mix the dry ingredients: In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Grate 5 or 6 light "grates" of the lemon zest over the flour mixture.
- Finish the batter: Remove the bowl from the mixer and use a rubber spatula to fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Fold in about 1 cup of the grapes,1cup raisin and 1/2 cup toasted walnuts. Stir only enough to blend and gently so as not to bruise or break too many grapes.
- Bake the cake: Pour the batter into the prepared pan and place it in the center of the oven. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes in the pan.
- Make the glaze and serve the cake: Meanwhile, combine the honey and ginger in a small sauce pan. Bring to a light simmer over low heat. When it bubbles, thickens and turns light brown, 2 to 3 minutes, add the remaining 1/2 cup grapes and the juice from 1/2 of the lemon. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Serve slices of the cake with some of the grape-ginger mix spooned over it. Serve with tangy Greek yogurt or a scoop of Vanilla ice cream on the side.